What does it take?
Participants must live or work in the Pierre Area. They are expected to attend all sessions in their entirety, kickoff and graduation and at least one community involvement opportunity during the 2019-20 Leadership Pierre program.
Leadership Pierre is a comprehensive program for current and emerging leaders to analyze characteristics associated with leadership, develop individual skills, and gather an awareness of trends, challenges and issues that face Hughes & Stanley County. Leadership Pierre seeks a diverse group of participants of varying interests and styles across a broad spectrum of achievement from the area.
Leadership Pierre is an educational program intended for Pierre area citizens who have an interest in their communities, their leaders and institutions, and/or specific leadership opportunities. During the nine-month program, participants will hear from area experts, tour places which make our community unique, participate in thought-provoking discussion and learn how and why decisions are made… All with the goad of shaping tomorrow’s leaders.
- Make Connections
- Community Awareness
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Create a Sense of Purpose for Civic Involvement
Leadership Pierre will select up to 15 area people who live or work in Hughes or Stanley County. Individuals not selected as one of the 15 participants will be added to a wait list.
A $25 nonrefundable application fee is due with the application. Checks can be made payable to the Pierre Area chamber of Commerce.
Tuition for Chamber members is $500 and for non-members $650. If selected for the program, the tuition is due by August 30, 2019.
For final acceptance as a Leadership Pierre participant, the tuition fee (for program coordination, meeting rooms, luncheons, material, speakers, break refreshments and graduation) must be paid in full by Friday, August 30, 2019.
If, for any reason, a registered participant must withdraw from the program, the Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce will need notice in writing four weeks prior to the program start date. With proper notification, we will make every reasonable effort to fill the slot with another participant and refund the withdrawing member’s tuition. If the slot is not filled, no refund will be issued.
- Leadership Pierre Kickoff – September 10 (5:00 – 7:30 pm)
- Session 1, Business and Professional Development – September 12
- Session 2, Education – October 10
- Session 3, Culture and Arts – November 7
- Session 4, Community Services – December 5
- Session 5, Tourism and Media – January 9
- Session 6, Healthcare – February 6
- Session 7, Law Enforcement and Emergency Management – March 5
- Session 8, Agriculture – April 9
- Session 9, Local Government – May 7
- Leadership Pierre Graduation Ceremony & Alumni Celebration – May 14 (5:30 – 7:30 pm)
Class of 2019-2020 Alumni
The Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce and Leadership Pierre Steering Team are eager to unveil the Leadership Pierre Class of 2019-20! We want to say thank you to everyone who applied. There were many fantastic applications and it was a competitive selection process.
Congratulations to the individuals in this class! They will begin their year with a kickoff event on September 10 and conclude on May 14 with a graduation celebration.
- Mandy Kuipers – American Bank & Trust
- Jamie Farmen – South Dakota Community Foundation
- Courtney Dosch – Vista Care South Dakota
- Natasha Bothun – South Dakota Tourism
- Heidi Kadoun – BankWest – South Dakota
- Stephanie Odden – Black Hills Federal Credit Union (Pierre, SD)
- Nicole Gordon – BankWest – South Dakota
- Jennie Palmer – Central South Dakota Enhancement District
- Peter Kleinpass – South Dakota Cultural Heritage Center
- Jacey Jessop – South Dakota Tourism
- Sigrid Wald – Avera Health
- Curt Underhill – Marco
- Jody Heemstra – DRG News, Sports & Farm
- Stephanie Patterson – The Right Turn, Inc.
- Courtney Kyriss – Homecare Services of South Dakota