The Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce is closely tracking the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) for our businesses and the Pierre/Fort Pierre communities. Below are resources for how your business and family can plan for and respond to the virus. We will update this page as information is made available.
Businesses, let us know how we can help using this form.
- Overview and Monitoring
- HR Business Resources
- Financial Business Resources
- Remote Working Business Resources
- Community Resources
- 3/29: Pierre-Fort Pierre Business Call with SBA, Accountant (Callie Iverson), Attorney (Jeromy Pankratz), Mayor Steve Harding, Mayor Gloria Hanson & Business Owners
- 3/19: Governor Noem’s Executive Order Regarding COVID-19 Guidelines
- US Chamber of Commerce: Global Dashboard on COVID-19 Government Policies
- CDC | Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary
Updates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tracking the situation in the U.S. and the latest recommendations
- World Health Organization | Coronavirus
News and Q&As from around the world
- South Dakota Department of Health | Coronavirus in South Dakota
An updated tracker of test results in South Dakota and additional resources
- Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering
Interactive map showing the coronavirus spread in real-time.
- South Dakota State University Professor Analyzes Coronavirus
Health and Safety
- CDC | Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease
Recommended strategies for employers to use now
- OSHA | COVID-19 Safety and Health Standards, Control & Prevention External Link
An overview of information for workers and employers, including links to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards and control and prevention
- Avera and Sanford Health Coronavirus Overview
Updates and tips for protecting yourself and staying healthy
Managing Current Employees
- 4/1: US Chamber of Commerce Employee Retention Tax Credit Guide
- FAMILIES FIRST CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE ACT (ACT) signed into law 3/18/2020 effective starting 4/1/2020
- Post All Job Openings
- Workers Compensation Coverage and COVID-19
- Paid Sick Leave FAQ’s and Information prepared by Jackson Lewis
- US Department of Labor | Fair Labor Standards Act Questions and Answers
Information about laws related to compensation, office closure, and work from home
- US Department of Labor | Family and Medical Leave Act Questions and Answers
Information about FMLA eligibility and responsibilities
- 4/2: South Dakota Department of Labor Reemployment Assistance Business Guidance
- COVID-19: Reemployment Assistance Eligibility Determinations.
The Department of Labor and Regulation’s proposed scenario interpretations regarding Reemployment Assistance eligibility.
- Business Webinar on Unemployment Insurance During the COVID-19 Pandemic (we applogize for the audio qualidy during part of the webinar; there was a technical issue with the webinar system)
- PowerPoint Presentation
- PowerPoint Presentation – Note Taking Version
- South Dakota Department of Tourism’s Information on Travel
- CDC | Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel
Updated information about Coronavirus for travelers and travel-related industries
- Forbes | Master List Of Airline Coronavirus Change And Cancellation Policies
How the airlines are handling issues regarding COVID-19
- SkyWest and United Airlines Notices on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- 3/31: City of Pierre Waves Penalty Fees Until June to Provide Utility Relief
- 3/24: Statement from City of Pierre Mayor Steve Harding
- Rural Development Loan Payment Assistance, Application Deadline Extensions & More
- Pierre Economic Development Corporation Website
- Fort Pierre Economic Development Corporation Website
Loan Programs: The Pierre Area Chamber recommends businesses consult with their accountant and banker at this time
- 4/1: Small Business Owners Guide & Checklist to the CARES Act
- 3/31: Comparison of Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and Paycheck Protection Program (PPP Section 7(a))
- U.S. Small Business Administration | Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease
2329 N. Career Ave Suite 105; Sioux Fallz, SD
Phone: 605-330-4243 | Fax: 605-330-4215
Locations: Sioux Falls | Rapid City
Governor Noem’s Small Business Relief Fund
- 4/3: Governor Noem’s Small Business Relief Fund: The GOED Loans are from $5,000 to $75,000 at 0% interest and 0 payments for six months.
- South Dakota Governor’s Office of Economic Development Financing Incentives
SBA Emergency Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL)
- SBA Emergency Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) are still available: Apply at sba.gov/disaster; loans up to $2M, 30 year term, 3.75% fixed for small business, 2.75% fixed for non-profits; payments are deferred for 12 mos. (this is a direct loan from U.S. Government).
- SBA EIDLE Advance: This is up to a $10K advance on the disaster loans (EIDL or P3); also apply at www.sba.gov/disaster (check the EIDL Advance box when making the EIDL application).
- 4/1: Economic Injury Disaster Loan Guide & Check List
SBA Payment Protection Program (P3)
- P3 Program: These loans will be handled directly by SBA lenders; appliactions officially open this Friday, April 3rd. Payments are deferred for 6 months.
- Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America | Insurance-related Resources
Disaster planning toolkit, losses of business income implications, worker compensation, and more
- South Dakota Department of Labor – Workman’s Compensation Regarding COVID-19
Shop Local when transforming your home into an office!
Free Online Resources
- Google Hangouts Premium is free through July 1.
- Microsoft Teams is available for free for six months.
- GoToMeeting is also offering their remote work tools free for three months.
- Zoom modern video communications for your dispersed team.
Tips & Tricks
- Working from Home? Ten Tips for Staying Productive
Strategies you can adopt to stay on task when away from the office and co-workers.
- Work from home 101: A telecommuter’s guide to working remotely
This guide will have you and your team synchronized and working in harmony, wherever you happen to be.
- How to Work From Home: 20 Tips From People Who Do It Successfully
A bunch of great work-at-home tips and tricks from Hubspot
- 5 Tips for Staying Productive and Mentally Healthy While You’re Working From Home
Tips from work-from-home veterans and workplace experts
- Working From Home During a Coronavirus Outbreak
Best practices for employees who may need to work remotely due to a coronavirus outbreak
- Maintaining Mental Well-being During a Quarantine
Learn how to maintain your mental well-being during a quarantine with this Live Well, Work Well article
- Economic Impact Payments from IRS: What You Need to Know
- Workers Compensation Coverage and COVID-19
- FAMILIES FIRST CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE ACT (ACT) Regarding emergency paid sick leave that was signed into law 3/18/2020 effective starting 4/1/2020
- 3/31: City of Pierre Waives Penalty Fees Until June to Provide Utilitiy Relief
Information for Individuals Who Lost Jobs Due to COVID-19
- 4/2: South Dakota Department of Labor’s Tips for Workers
- 4/1: South Dakota Department of Labor’s Scenario Worksheet with State Unemployment Benefits & Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
- Find a Job
Pierre Department of Labor Job Service Office
Phone: 605.773.3372 | Email
- Capital City Campus | Seek Education Opportunties
Support Local Groups and Stay Connected To The Community
- Feeding the Frontline with the Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce
- Capital Journal Coronavirus Coverage
- South Dakota Discovery Center
- Oahe Family YMCA
- Oahe Downstream or Farm Island Recreation Area Enjoy nature in solitude
- South Dakota Department of Education
- City of Pierre | Trail Maps
- The Right Turn
Online Resources & Activities
- Free Scholastic “Learn at Home” Courses
- Teaching Remotely for Kids
- NASA Media Library
- 450 Ivy League Courses for FREE
- Make Ice Cream
- 12 Famous Museum Online Tours
- Yellowstone National Park Tour
- Access MARS
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Panda Cam at Atlanta Zoo
- Georgia Aquarium Cam
- Farm Food 360
- Houston Zoo Web Cam
- Activity Book for Horse Lovers
Read updates here to the Chamber’s upcoming events
Promoting prosperity, growth, and our way of life in the lower Oahe region. The Pierre Area Chamber remains committed to that mission for Pierre/Fort Pierre during what has been an unprecedented and difficult week for all businesses across the country. Our priority is...